The Bracken Bat Flight is an outdoor, natural experience. Please read the information below before making a reservation. You'll find a link to the reservation page at the bottom.
Arrival Time & Departure Times:
- Check-in for the Bracken Bat Flight experience will be at Natural Bridge Caverns. Check-in times vary throughout the season. Your check-in time will be printed on your ticket.
- For the 2012 season, flights are available approximately 5 evenings each week in May, June, July, August and September. Due to variations in the bats' emergence times throughout the season, guests may only purchase tickets 2 to 3 weeks in advance. If you wish to purchase a later date, please check back about 2 weeks prior to that day. If you have questions about a specific date or wish to book a group please call 210-651-6101.
- Orientation will begin 30 minutes after check-in starts. Once orientation has been completed, guests will return to their vehicles to drive over to the Bracken Bat Cave for the viewing.
- After the group has left Natural Bridge Caverns, we will not be able to accommodate late arrivals. Refunds will not be given to those who arrive too late for the tour.
- The entire experience will last approximately 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Remember that bats are wild animals. Their emergence is a natural occurrence and we cannot control or predict the exact start time.
- There will be no early departures except in the case of emergencies. Please schedule your meals and children's bed times accordingly. Please do not plan on an exact departure time.
- Once the viewing has concluded we will not be returning to Natural Bridge Caverns.
- The Bracken Bat Flight experience will take place rain or shine and all sales are final.
- The entire experience is outside—with no buildings or coverings. Please be prepared for extremely hot temperatures and/or rain.
- Bracken Bat Cave is located in a natural, unimproved area. The road leading to the cave is rough and dusty. Cars with low ground clearance are not recommended and alternate transportation is not provided.
- The bats can be sensitive to noise so we need all visitors to remain quietly seated as much as possible. Please take this into consideration if you are considering bringing children to view the flight.
- We recommend bringing a camera but no flash photography is allowed.
- You may want to bring binoculars as hawks and other birds of prey may be seen.
Physical Limitations to Consider:
- Total walking distance is approximately 1/2 mile. Please consider physical limitations and the Texas summer heat when planning your trip. The walking trails around the cave entrance are gravel. If you have accessibility needs please let your guide know at check-in.
- Once you arrive at Bracken Bat Cave the only restroom facility is a unisex Port-a-Potty. There is hand sanitizer available, but no hand washing stations.
What to Wear:
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothes, closed-toe shoes and socks.
What to Bring:
- We also suggest sunscreen, insect repellent and binoculars.
What You Cannot Bring:
- Please DO NOT bring chairs, food, pets, alcohol or any items such as cigarettes, cigars, pipes, matches or lighters. There is absolutely NO SMOKING at Bracken Bat Cave.
- At check-in guests will be required to sign a liability waiver.
Attention Bat Conservation International members: BCI members may be eligible for free or discounted tickets. BCI members must call BCI at 512-327-9721 to make reservations using free/discounted tickets.